The BIR Young Professionals and Trainee (YPAT) SIG is a dynamic and innovated group of talented and inspirational individuals, carefully selected from the multidisciplinary trainee community through open meritocratic competition. The YPAT includes radiologists, radiographers, medical scientists and medical students. [Images above: the group hard at work and planning at the BIR offices]
Management group members - read more
Future of Radiology Essay Prize
We are delighted to announce the winner of the 2018 essay competition - Dr Fiona McCurdie. Please visit Future of Radiology Essay Prize to see Fiona receiving her award and to read her excellent essay on 'The role of the radiologist in 2040'.
Latest News from the SIG - March 2019:
The SIG welcomed two new members to the Management Group – Humza Mahmood and Meg Mashar. The group are keen to recruit more physicists, radiographers and oncologists – if this is you and you would like to be more involved, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The main areas for discussion were:
- BIR’s Annual Congress for 2019 taking place on 7/8 November in London. Once again this promises to be an excellent event and will cover three streams each day. Of particular interest to young professionals and trainees will be Session C on 8 November ‘Cases from the Archives’, which will include an interactive quiz.
- The BIR hope to launch a new Resource Sharing Platform in the next few months. This will be a membership benefit and will give access to various resources, including guidance documents, policy documents and templates, with a view to avoiding duplication and improving best practice.
- For 2019, special features are planned on advances in neurodegenerative and psychiatric imaging and nasopharyngeal cancer. Cardiac imaging and proton therapy are planned for 2020.
- BJR|Open – the first 16 articles have now been published and are available online. Article processing charges (APCs) were introduced in January 2019 – £480 for members / £600 for non-members.
- BJR|case reports – all articles have now been entered with Pubmed Central. APCs are £325 for members / £400 for non-members.
- All our journals now have a taxonomy search function.
Events planned for 2019 – as always the popular events ‘Top tips for radiology interviews’ and ‘ST application mock interviews’ - dates in December tbc.
Keep in touch via LinkedIn | Facebook | Twitter
Join the group
The YPAT SIG aims to reach out to all student, trainees and young professionals with an interest in medical imaging and creates new and exciting initiatives and opportunities targeted at trainees' needs. In addition, it provides important guidance and consultation to help steer the BIR's strategic planning for the future and ensure it stays fit for purpose.
We welcome application from BIR members who would like to join the Management group of this SIG. To ensure a good multi-disciplinary mix, we are keen to enrol a clinical oncology specialist registrar, physicist or radiographer to the group. To express your interest, please complete the online form here.