The British Institute of Radiology is the international membership organisation for everyone working in imaging, radiation oncology and the underlying sciences.
Our vision is to:
Support the work of our members and their colleagues to achieve professional excellence
Provide continuing professional development for our multidisciplinary community
Publish cutting edge research for our authors and readers across the world
Influence and connect with the wider professional sector
Our mission statement:
Working together to improve medicine, health and patient care through the science and practice of imaging and radiation oncology
- We believe in the value of multidisciplinary collaboration to combat disease;
- We believe that every effort should be made to optimise the use of radiation in healthcare and in the diagnosis and treatment of disease;
- We believe that research and education are vitally important; and consider all our members to be equal regardless of profession or grade.
Our areas of focus:
- Continue to grow voluntary participation by members and others in our educational, publishing, organising, and governance activities;
- Provide affordable, convenient, must-have online training – to support members, and professionals more widely, who are experiencing time constraints and financial limitations but who nevertheless want to progress in their careers and deliver excellent treatment and care for patients;
- Support managers and leaders in imaging and radiation oncology;
- Grow membership numbers, and make sure we are providing a valuable service to both professional and corporate members;
- Maintain our position in radiology publishing through improved management, faster and more efficient publishing and author care, and by embracing open access publishing;
- Develop a focused policy and public affairs strategy;
- Move towards a sustainable financial model, ensuring that the BIR achieves breakeven within the five year period from 2017-2022. This includes the development of a financially sustainable events programme to ensure we are able to continue providing high quality CPD to our professional communities.
Registered charity no: 215869
Patron: Her Majesty the Queen