Essential for all members of your imaging team including radiographers, radiologists, physicists, managers and others.
100% of participants rated this course "excellent" or "good" and every participant would recommend to colleagues.
About the course:
• Helps you fulfil your responsibilities safely, effectively, and in compliance with relevant laws and regulations
• Approximately 3 hours of video divided into digestible sessions, with test questions throughout and an assessment at the end, awarding a CPD certificate
• Content includes illustrations, animations, live action, and recorded interviews, with narration providing clear explanation at every step
• Written by some of the UK’s foremost radiation safety professionals working in clinical settings, peer reviewed, and with contributions from leading experts
• Uses proven educational techniques to make it engaging and memorable
• Relevant to the practical needs of busy professionals
This video course has been approved by the RCR for 2 CPD Credits and has been approved for professional accreditation by the College of Radiographers.
“The course is fantastic, I am really impressed with the content and quality”, Matt Pryor, Head of Radiation Protection, Royal Surrey County Hospital.
"One of the best radiation safety training courses I have seen", Daniel Gebretensae, CS Radiation Protection Manager, Siemens Healthineers.
Radiation Protection Essentials
Different types of radiation, absorption and the X-ray spectrum, the effects and risks of radiation, measures of and practical indicators of dose, Justification, Optimisation and Dose limitation, ways to reduce dose, principles of time, distance and shielding, along with engineering controls, admin controls and PPE.
Legislation controlling the use of X-rays in hospital – IR(ME)R
The main aims, principles and scope of this legislation, key roles and optimisation of exposures.
Legislation controlling the use of X-rays in hospital – IRR
The main aims, principles and scope of this legislation, roles and responsibilities of the Employer and Employee.
Practical Radiation Protection – Parts 1 and 2
The control of medical radiological equipment and the role of the operator, maintenance of equipment and management of controlled areas, principles of time, distance and shielding to reduce exposure.
Patient pathway – Referral to Report Parts 1 and 2
The journey of the patient, patient information and communications for patients and carers.
Patient pathway – Referral to Report Part 3
The patient journey from referral to the clinical evaluation or report, Justification, Optimisation and dose limitation, image optimisation teams, training, role of the Operator.
Radiation Protection Culture
Openness, transparency, leadership and compliance, clinical audits, principles of best practice.
See a sample video clip here:
Sue Baillie Chief Radiographer, St George’s University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, London
Bruce Walmsley Consultant Clinical Scientist and Radiation Protection Adviser, St George’s University
Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, London
Helen Hughes Head of Quality & Governance Radiology, Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board
Cristiona Logan Governance Lead Radiographer, Northern Health and Social Care Trust, Northern Ireland
Amanda Webster Radiation Safety/QA Lead, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
Sophia Thom Diagnostic Radiographer, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust.
Steve Ebdon-Jackson Consultant, Regulation of Medical Exposures
Amy Eccles Consultant Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine, Guys and St. Thomas’ Hospitals NHS
Foundation Trust, London
Christine Peacock Radiology Services Manager, Royal Brompton Hospital, London
Andy Rogers Lead Interventional Medical Physics Expert, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
James Taylor HM Principal Specialist Inspector (Radiation), FOD Radiation Team, HSE
Holly Warriner IR(ME)R Clinical Specialist Inspector, Care Quality Commission.
Course price: £79.99
BIR members: £59.99
Prices are for a 12 month licence to view video content and complete the test. The course transcript, user notes and CPD certificate can be downloaded and kept indefinitely.
Group packages available for 5 or more people
- Ensure your team is compliant with key IR(ME)R and IRR legislation
- Gain consistent high standards in radiation safety culture and patient care across your entire department
- Make efficiencies on your training budget with no need for travel or accommodation expenses