The Nic McNally prize for Cancer Research was established from monies raised by the friends, colleagues and BIR staff in memory of Dr Nic McNally, who was a long-serving Honorary Editor of BJR and President–elect of the BIR before his untimely death in 1991. The Gray Laboratory Cancer Research Trust has made a generous donation to the prize fund, which will ensure the continuation of the award for many years to come. The prize is in the form of a travel bursary to a conference* and is awarded to a radiobiology researcher who may be scientifically or medically qualified. The winner will be encouraged to submit an article on the relevant topic to BJR.
*Please note that conference attendance can be in person or virtual, as appropriate
Apply for the 2024 Award - closing date 31 May 2024
Download the Application form
- The award is for £750 and is open to BIR members and non-members.
- The award will be made at an appropriate event, either organised or badged by the BIR.
- Applicants must submit:
- an application form,
- an abstract submission form for the relevant conference in which they are participating,
- Closing date 30 April 2024
- Applications will be judged by the Awards & Prizes Judging Panel, with advice from the BIR Oncology & Radiotherapy SIG, if required.
2023 Award Winner
Awarded to Mr Ricardo Minaya Sainz for their application based on the paper entitled "Antibody blockade of ART1 synergises with CTLA-4 inhibitors to promote radiotherapy-induced immune responses in a mouse lung cancer model".
Above: Mr Ricardo Minaya Sainz presented with his award by BIR President Professor Stephen Keevil
Mr Christian Cooper and
Dr Victoria Dunne
Mr Conrado Guerrero Quiles
Dr Lingjian Yang
Miss Lara Barazzoul
Dr Cornelia Meisenberg
Dr Christine Armstrong
Dr Ester Hammond