The Magnetic Resonance Special Interest Group (SIG) advises the BIR on all matters relating to magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy.
The SIG also provides comment and advice regarding regulatory and research developments relating to MRI.
Read more about management group members
Safety Advice sheets from 2018, 2019 and 2020 are all available for you to download.
Latest SIG News - March 2021
The first SIG management group meeting of the year took place at the end of January by videoconference and almost all the management group managed to ‘attend’ and contribute.
MR Events coming up
Recent events held
The SIG organised some good virtual events in the second half of 2020. If you registered for the event at the time, you can watch for free now, but, if not, keep an eye our upcoming ‘pay-per-view’ service which will allow anyone to purchase on-demand access to past virtual events. There will be special discounts for BIR members.
Both events received were aimed at radiographers and received 100% satisfaction rating.
Very received with 100% satisfaction rating from delegates.
MR Safety matters
- MR Safety Week – July 2021 – as in previous years, the SIG planned to publish some material to highlight this week.
- The BIR has issued a statement with regard to the use of facemasks in the MR scanner environment. Please share with your MR colleagues and others who will find this relevant.
BIR activities and resources
- Pre-funded Open access publishing – you can now publish your work in BJR or DMFR at no cost to you as long as the corresponding author is affiliated to a participating university. Find out more here.
- Check out the BIR’s impressive collection of videos and courses in the Online Learning Library (OLL).
- The 2020 Annual Congress was adapted to a virtual format and was the most successful to date. If you missed it, many of the presentations can be found in the Online Learning Library.
- In October 2020 the BIR launched the first in a series of video courses.
- Radiation Safety 2021 –aimed at the whole imaging team including radiographers, physicists, radiologists and technicians. The course has been rated “excellent” or “good” by 100% of participants and 100% also said they would recommend to a colleague.
- Dose 2021 Part 1 “Understanding the principles of optimisation and safety” – has just been launched. This will be followed by Dose 2021 Part 2 “Optimisation and safety in practice” in a few weeks. Special rates for BIR members and group packages are available.
- Courses are in the pipeline: CT Essentials,MR Essentials and PET CT